Monday, December 27, 2010

Sunset magazine article


I just finished reading the newest edition of Sunset magazine. {January 2011 edition} I usually enjoy their articles, since it just features the part of the country that I live in.

This month, they had an article about a woman and her family. It was a human interest story about her minimalist lifestyle. I'm all about a simple way of living, so I couldn't wait to read it.

It's titled "The Zero Waste Home". This family only sends to the landfill a few handfuls of garbage annually. Seriously. She shops with glass jars and buys nothing with wrapping. Everything from bulk foods to meats and cheeses go into the jar. The cashier figures the tare of the jar and then charges her for her purchases. Wow!

I totally got her homemade cleaners and toiletries. I really understand the compostable toothbrushes. I understand the reusing of jars to store bulk purchases. I even go with the rule that if you get something new, something old must be donated.

What I don't follow: Not letting the kids have many toys or books, taking all of those glass jars with me to the grocery store, not putting pictures on the walls, and not keeping the things that the kids made in school. Now don't get me wrong. I don't keep all of my kids' precious treasures, but I do have many of them.

I was really into her story until I went to her website. I was at the doctor's office, reading this article, and I couldn't wait to get home to check out her blog. I thought I would have found another inspiring frugal/simple lifestyle blog to read. I was disappointed. Check it out for yourself: http://zerowastehome.blogspot.com/. Then go to the library and read the article. The article is great. Really.

No comments:

Post a Comment