Monday, January 24, 2011

garden planning

January is the perfect time to plan your garden. Catalogs come by the "bushel". Once the fall holidays are over, and it's cold and dreary outside, I look forward to Spring. I spend months planning Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas, so it makes perfect sense to spend months planning Spring!

My veggie garden always includes: tomatoes, peas, zucchini, cucumbers, raspberries{perennial bush}, yellow squash, pumpkins and carrots. I try a few different plantings each year. Some work, some don't. Last year I had trouble with corn and potatoes. Neither grew very big.

This year I plan to add: sweet banana peppers, broccoli and asparagus.

In my herb garden I grow: lavender, cilantro, peppermint, basil, chives, and lemon balm. This year I plan to add: spearmint, rosemary and dill.

I have a spiral notebook for gardening. Each Spring, I draw my garden plans. You have to rotate most plants. By keeping a garden journal, I can be sure that I have done the rotation. I can also keep track of what grows and what doesn't.

2 comments:

  1. Which catalogs do you like best?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The ones that come with a $25 off coupon!

    Right now, I'm looking at Gardens Alive and Henry Fields.

    ReplyDelete