Monday, December 12, 2016

Adventures in frugal, vegan cooking-beans for breakfast

I'm still frugal, still vegan, still trying to spend as little as possible on groceries. Cooking from scratch is one sure way to stay on track.

I buy dry beans in bulk, soak a pound overnight, then cook them in the crockpot all day. I come home from work to a delicious smelling home, and dinner is half prepared! (I cook my beans with garlic cloves and bay leaves) I just add a few more ingredients and my meal is ready. (tacos, burritos, bean spaghetti to name a few)

   One way I like to use beans for breakfast is that I like beans on toast. I add beans and non-dairy cheese to a piece or two of toast, toast a few minutes in the toaster oven then add hot sauce, tomatoes or avocado. (whatever I have on hand) Add a piece of fruit and a cup of tea and I'm good to go. This meal keeps me full until lunchtime. And...Yum!


No comments:

Post a Comment