Tuesday, July 6, 2010

weeds, weeds and more weeds

I am happy to say that I am just about caught up on weeds. We have a 1 acre property with a few gardens. To say that weed pulling is a part time job is not a joke! If I take 20-30 minutes a day, for 4-5 days a week, to pull weeds then I can keep up. We have a veggie garden, a perennial garden, hegdges and 4 flower gardens. I also have the children's garden{playground} which is half grass{under swingset} and half mulch.{under trampoline}

If it goes for a while, or we get LOTS of rain, I can easily fill one yard bag with weeds...from each garden! On the other hand, if I keep up with the weeds, I can fill one bag per week.

For the walk ways and in the mulch, I use straight vinegar. I buy it in gallon jugs at Sam's Club and use a garden sprayer to spread it. On a very hot and sunny day, the weeds will be wilted by dinnertime and gone by the next morning.

I just have the veggie garden left to clean up, and then it's just maintenance for the rest of the season! Yay! I'd much rather enjoy summer instead of working at the weeds.

1 comment:

  1. I need to try vinegar on our walk ways! I am constantly weeding our yard. I feel like I just finish and it is time to start again.

    ReplyDelete