Wednesday, October 6, 2010

getting ready for Christmas

Yes, that's correct! It is October 6th and I am preparing for Christmas. This is the best way for me to give the perfect gift and stay on budget.

We are still progressing towards our goal of being debt free in 5 years. Just like all best thought out plans, we have had many obstacles! We have had medical bills, college tuition bills and now a major home repair project. We must adapt and overcome.

Will I let these spoil my holiday plans? No way! I just plan a little more carefully. I have a few books, from the library, on homemade gifts. I am planning what gifts to make for whom. I have a budget set for the amount I will spend for each child. I have a log book where I am keeping track of all of the fun little stocking stuffers, as I find them. I have already found a few gifts for the kids, and log those in the book as well. I keep it with me as I am out and about. You never know when you will come across a clearance sale, thrift store treasure or yard sale. I have, in the past, bought too many gifts for one child. In this case you either buy more for the others or you save the extra gifts for Easter baskets or birthdays.

My best treasure so far is a brand new name brand hat, found at Goodwill for $3. It retails for $15-$18! SCORE!

Planning is everything to the frugal Christmas shopper! I've even begun making my Christmas cards! Go me!

No comments:

Post a Comment