Sunday, November 7, 2010

home made hair care

There are so many products, on the market, for hair care. Even with coupons, they can get a bit pricey. I have very thick hair and live in a high altitude area, so it isn't easy to keep my hair conditioned.

I generally use Pantene products.{on sale, with coupons} They seem to keep my hair clean and mildly conditioned. As a former hairstylist, I understand that this is done by the use of waxes in the products, so I utilize baking soda occasionally, to remove build up. {just add a teaspoon to your shampoo and leave on until you feel an itch}

I know many bloggers are using plain baking soda as a shampoo, but with my dry hair and climate, that isn't an option for me.

To deep condition, I like to use a cup of mayo. You just spread it on dry hair and place a hair cap over it, or put up in a clip. Leave on for 20-30 minutes and then shampoo. It really does work. I have tried using an avocado in the same way, but just found it to be too messy. I do plan on trying a cup of unsweetened coconut milk. I just read that it is a great conditioner, and it would smell better than mayo! I'll have to research the price first.

My hair loses pigment easily and I don't want to chemically color treat my hair. I have dark hair, so I simply use 3 bags of black tea, brewed in 2 cups of hot water. Cool slightly and use as a final rinse. {do not rinse} It does add a bit of brown to the ends, which are lighter.

You can also use Earl Grey for brown hair. For blond you can use chamomile tea. For red hair, Rooibus. For lighter brown, use blackberry or raspberry tea.

I've also had success using brewed coffee in the same way. It's so much better for your heath and your budget to use this method. Of course, you can't use this to drastically change your natural color. These suggestions are only to be used if you want to perk up your color or to add depth, as I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment