Friday, November 19, 2010

organization part 2

Yesterday I discussed ways I keep organized. Another key area is grocery shopping and planning. I keep an eye on local sales and plan my next few weeks' of menus accordingly.

I clip any and all coupons that I come across. I only keep the ones that I know I will use. I keep them filed by categories. I remove the coupons that I plan to use that day, and keep them in a small binder with my grocery list. I do take my coupon file with me. You just never know what will be on an unadvertised sale. Did you know that you can use coupons on items in your grocery's discount area?

I also have a price book. This was the best thing that I ever did for myself. It is simply a spiral notebook, with items I normally buy and the regular prices at the stores I normally shop. I write in pencil since prices change.

I really thought that I was getting a great price on some items at Sam's Club. After I did my price book, I was a bit surprised! For one, 15 ounce cans of tomato sauce are $0.58 at Sam's. I found them at Walmart for $0.44 a can. A 14.5 ounce can of diced tomatoes are $0.74 at Sam's and $0.63 at Walmart. A 5 ounce can of tuna is $1.12 at Sam's and $0.74 at Walmart. There are many others. My local grocery store cannot compete with Sam's or Walmart on regular prices, but can compete when items are on sale and I have a coupon.

There are still items that are cheaper at Sam's. One being turkey bacon. Sam's- $1.90, Walmart-$2.48, grocery-$2.79.

Since making my price book, I buy less items at Sam's and more at Walmart. Before making the book, I never bought groceries at Walmart. So, for a few hours time, I visited 3 stores to make a price book {I had shopping to do- I didn't just go to make the book}, and I will save more than I imagined. I figured that by buying most canned items at Walmart, I saved about $5.00 over buying them elsewhere. I drive right by there everyday to take my son to school. Might as well make a stop and save a few bucks!

*Frugal note* my Sam's Club membership is free. How? Well, all you have to do is to have a family member work there. They can give one membership away! Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment