Sunday, May 22, 2011

My garden

I finally got my seeds and seedlings planted. We have some serious clay soil. That can make for some difficult planting and growing. I have been adding compost to the soil in hopes to amend the soil. It is back breaking work to haul compost, spread it and then turn it under. Oh to have a rototiller!

We have experienced monsoon time rains here in Colorado. It has been amazingly wet lately. Sad to say, some of my seedlings didn't make it through. (insert sad face here)

We are expecting more cool temps and even more rain this week. The sad part is that I am actually on time with my garden plantings this year. It just makes sense that the weather isn't going to cooperate with me! Ha ha...bummer.

The only thing to do is to wait another week and replant some veggies. I was really hoping to save money on my plants by growing them indoors, from seed. I really didn't want to buy established plants. Oh well.

4 comments:

  1. Ugh, mountain gardening drives me crazy! I have seeds starting indoors that I hope to harden off and transplant in the coming weeks. I planted a few squash and peppers in our cold frame and brave (or stupid) me, I even sowed a few thyme and tomato seeds in half-barrels. We'll see how it all goes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Are you getting snow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. We had snow off and on earlier this month, but here's hoping that's all in the past now. It's been a long, gloomy winter which is unusual for us.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been pretty gloomy lately!

    ReplyDelete