Wednesday, May 18, 2011

yummy tostadas!

We love tostadas here. They are quick to make and soooo yummy! I'm not a fan of commercial tostada shells, so I fry up my own. It's so easy to do. You just need some corn tortillas and olive oil. {or other oil of your choice} I use my small cast iron skillet to fry them. Keep an eye on them so that they don't burn. You will go crazy over the taste of these. Hubby will eat these alone!




Then, you need to cook up your pinto beans. With one pound of pinto beans, you can make the equivalent of 3-4 cans of refried beans. And they taste so much better homemade. {my recipe is below and also on my recipe page}



You'll see that I love to reuse my jars.


After cooking, I like to add a bit of salsa, to the beans, before serving





Ahhhh...yummy tostadas. {we also added chopped onions and chopped romaine to the tostadas}







Refried Beans

1 pound of dried pinto beans
4 cups water
1/4 cup bacon grease {optional}
1 T garlic powder
2 T chicken bouillon
2 T chili powder
2 T butter


Place beans and water in a large stock pot. Soak overnight. Drain beans in a colander and rinse thoroughly. Add 2 cups fresh water to pot, stir in grease and next 3 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 5-6 hours, stirring occasionally. Beans are done when soft. Mash with potato masher or fork and serve.
At this point, you can add more seasoning or salsa, if desired

No comments:

Post a Comment