Friday, May 13, 2011

I know that you mean well, but.....

I have really nice neighbors. I like to sit outside and visit. It's actually quite pleasant. It's nice to know that if you need help with something, that you have someone next door, or maybe across the street that can lend a hand.

Then, you get the unsolicited advice. What do you do with that? When you have a neighbor, that's never been married, give you marriage advice. Or when your other neighbor, in his late 40's and never had a child, gives you advice on parenting. Hmmmm. First of all, I never even asked for advice. Secondly, I'm not too sure how you can be an expert on something that you've never dealt with.

Personally, I think that my marriage is going very well and although I would never claim perfection, I think I'm doing okay as a mom.

So then, how do take lawn advice from a neighbor that has dead grass and weeds for a lawn? Ha ha ha ha. My hubby thinks if that guy comes by to talk about our lawn again, that I should offer him advice. Maybe he should water and/or mow on occasion!?

I find myself looking over my shoulder or running inside if I see one of them heading in my direction. It takes longer to do yard work this way!

It's challenging to deal with neighbors in this way. I don't want any negative feelings towards them. I just listen to their advice and smile and nod. When they are through, I change the subject. Then I go inside and vent to my hubby. Poor guy. He thinks that I should speak up for myself and tell the neighbors to mind their own business.

Maybe one day...as for today, I will weed my garden in the dark, so that no one sees me. Then, I wont have to receive a lecture on the best
way to raise my son.

Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment