Thursday, June 9, 2011

the easiest, yummiest mac and cheese

We have dairy allergies, here in the happy simple home. I have tried many recipes for a dairy free macaroni and cheese. Some were simply "okay", while others tasted similar to cardboard.


They say necessity is the mother of invention, yes? Well, I needed a good mac and cheese. I became creative, and this is what I came up with:



It was indeed as delicious as it looks. Every bit as creamy and cheesy as cow's milk mac and cheese!



My Mac 'N Cheese


1 box whole wheat, high fiber elbow macaroni

1 bag dairy free cheese, I love Daiya cheese as it melts and tastes so yummy!

milk

paprika

nutmeg

Cook the macaroni as directed on the box. {you can actually cook the pasta in milk, as long as you watch it constantly and stir the entire time.} In a smaller pot, put in the cheese and about a 1/4 cup of milk. Stir, over low heat, until it starts to melt. Here, you can add more milk until it reaches the desired consistency. We like ours really creamy. When the cheese is ready, add a sprinkle of paprika for color, and a sprinkle of nutmeg to taste. Mix cheese with pasta and serve.Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment