Thursday, December 22, 2016

Adventures in Vegan cooking-tempeh

I first tatsted a vegan "BLT" in a local restaurant. While not a vegetarian joint, they do focus on fresh healthy "in season" ingredients. Therefore, their menu changes seasonally. We like to eat there, since vegans and meat eaters alike can dine together in harmony! (although it is a splurge, and one we don't do often!)

Enter...the "TLT" sandwich:

The tempheh-lettuce-tomato sandwich! Paired with my free sparkling water, from my recent grocery trip, it made a fabulous lunch!

The restaurant that I first discovered this sandwich in, made it a bit differently, but mine still tastes amazing. (I also added vegan cheese and pickles with my standard vegan pesto spread!)

It all starts with Lightlife "Fakin Bacon" smoked tempeh. While I absolutely do not like fake meats, this is one exception. It is very versatile and makes a great sandwich. I find that fake meats are not frugal friendly, nor do they make sense to me. Why eat fake meat? weird.

It is on the pricey side, around $4-$5 per package, I only pick it up when on sale. I can get about 5 servings out of each package. It is also great as a side to tofu scramble or as a protein source when paired with roasted potatoes and fruit.


No comments:

Post a Comment